Guidelines for Access to Patient Information:
To access patient information in accordance with legislative requirements, ErinoakKids Centre for Treatment and Development requires a written authorization containing the following:
- The authorization must be directed to ErinoakKids Centre for Treatment and Development
- The name of the client
- Client's date of birth
- Reason for request
- The type of information required and treatment dates if possible
- The name and address of the person you want the information sent to
- The authorization must be signed, dated and witnessed
If the client is 16 years of age or older, the authorization must be signed by the client. Parental or legal guardian consent is required if the child is less than 16 years of age and/or not capable of consenting; otherwise, the child can consent to disclosing their information. If there is a conflict between the child and the parent or legal guardian, the capable child’s decision prevails with respect to consent.
There may be an administrative charge for release of information. The fee for copying varies with the size of the record. Pre-payment of this is required prior to accessing your health record. For more information about these fees, please contact the Health Records Administrator at ErinoakKids.
Reviewing or Obtaining Your Health Record
Clients/Guardians are entitled to access their health information. Mental health requests may be subject to approval by the health-care provider.
All requests must be made in writing. For your safety, we do not accept telephone requests for information. Please download a Consent for Disclosure Form With the form, please include:
- Original signature of client/guardian or Substitute Decision Maker (SDM)
- Date of authorization – must be within 90 days of the request
- Witness – the signature of the person verifying that the client/guardian/SDM did in fact sign the authorization
- Name of recipient – the person or company to whom the information may be disclosed
- Purpose of request – i.e., medical, therapeutic, education, legal
The ErinoakKids Health Information Management office is unable to review or advise upon personal health records. Your health information should be reviewed with your health-care provider so that interpretation may be provided if necessary.
There is no fee for information given to health-care providers.
|ErinoakKids Clients/Guardian||No charge for the first 10 pages per year. 11-50 pages - $30.00 + HST. >50 pages - $30.00 then $0.50 per page after 50 + HST|
|Lawyers, Insurance and Research requests||No charge for the first 10 pages per year. 11-50 pages - $30.00 + HST. >50 pages - $30.00 then $0.50 per page after 50 + HST|
|Medical Legal Reports||$150 + HST per report|
Completed requests can be mailed to:
ErinoakKids Centre for Treatment and Development
10145 McVean Dr.
Brampton, ON, L6P 4K7
ATTENTION: Health Information Management, Release of Information
We do not use our email system for specific requests or enquiries about patient information.
Health Records Department
905-855-2690 (toll free 1-877-374-6625) extension 2435